Friday, December 3, 2010

About four years ago, I was fresh out of school. My parents were against me taking a year out and I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I can't remember exactly how or why, but in the end I decided to study "communication media and culture" at Oxford Brookes. I think it was because that was an easy option for me. It wasn't until my second year when I finally realised that not only did I not enjoy the course, but I also started to feel like I was loosing my identity. Unfortunately I did not have the courage to drop out and pursue something else, mainly because I didn't want to 'disappoint' my traditionally strict parents but also partly because I still didn't know what the hell I wanted to do. The next year and a half at Brookes was hell. I tried to get away as much as I could but then it got to my final year and with my dissertation and everything else, I could only get away so much. Being stuck there, I felt restricted. I didn't feel like myself and I spent the last year wondering what I was going to do after. I did a few work experiences over the summer in both Hong Kong and London here and there. I was learning a lot and my interest in the fashion industry was rapidly increasing. Nonetheless I still didn't know where I was going with my life. On my graduation day, I remember some people crying and everyone was taking pictures with each other. I was just happy that I no longer had a reason to be there.

And then, to my total surprise, I got into London College of Fashion. I am now studying "Fashion media and communication" which includes introductions to areas such as styling, photography, cultural studies, fashion history, IT, visual studies, journalism and PR. I am learning a lot and I've never been happier. And as much as I wish I had gone to LCF for the three years instead of Brookes, deep down I know that I would not have reached the realization of wanting to study fashion had I not been at Brookes, studied the course and met the people that I did. I am extremely excited to be studying a subject that I truly enjoy and happy to engage in. As lame as this sounds, I think this may be the first time in my life where I am actually willing to take that extra step (or two), not to impress others but myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment